adapted from a Food Network recipe
Granita is a coarse, Italian-style flavored ice made with fresh juice and requires no special equipment to make!
- 4 1/2 cups citrus juice – combine your favorite sweet and tart fruits like orange, tangerine, and grapefruit.
- If desired: 1/4 cup simple syrup to taste (2 parts sugar to 1 part water, heated to boiling)
- Juice a selection of your favorite citrus fruits. You can save and freeze your fruit rinds for beautiful individual serving bowls.
- Add simple syrup to taste, if desired.
- Pour liquid into large shallow stainless steel pan and place in freezer. The dish should be large enough so the liquid is not more than 1-inch deep.
- Freeze the mixture for 1 hour. Remove from the freezer and scrape with 2 forks to break up ice.
- Return to the freezer and freeze until solid, about 2 to 3 hours, scraping with forks every hour or so until liquid is gone.
- Serve granita by itself or with your favorite ice cream!