Recipe Courtesy of Mario Hernandez, from Order of the Fat Tongue
Makes: 2 Toasts
2 Warren pears, sliced thin
1 small endive, sliced thin
1/4 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
12 leaves of whole Italian parsley
2 slices of peasant bread, sliced length wise
4 ounces of Comte cheese, grated
2 tbs. of quality butter
Olive oil to taste
Lemon juice to taste
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a hotel pan/cookie sheet with parchment.
– Spread butter onto both pieces of sliced bread and top with Comte cheese and place them on the parchment covered pan. Place the pan into the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes.
– Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, place the sliced pears, endive, chopped walnuts and parsley and dress with olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
– Set the oven to boil and toast the two pieces of bread until the cheese have sufficiently browned.
– Allow the toast to cool for 5 minutes. Add the mixed ingredients on top of the toasted bread.
Serve at once.